ADOPT DON’T SHOP!
Don’t Breed or Buy while Bali Dogs Die
At any time, BAWA cares for more than 100 puppies and dogs, plus kittens and cats, in desperate need of loving, permanent homes. These are our rescued animals. In Bali, it is all too common for unwanted litters to be thrown away, to rot like garbage. Eighty-five percent of all female puppies are thrown out. Adult animals are dumped because they are sick, old or simply “less cute”. How cruel! We rescue them every day.
Contributing to the problem is the perceived status of imports; especially of dogs other than Bali’s beautiful and special indigenous dog. The devastating reality is that this demand encourages “factory style” breeding facilities – often known as “puppy mills” – and unscrupulous breeders who put profit above the welfare of the dogs.
Animals kept for breeding often exist in shocking conditions; in filthy cages with no basic medical care. The parents of the puppies are caged and bred over and over, with little hope of ever joining a family. Once they are no longer profitable, breeding dogs are simply discarded. Some are left neglected and miserable in cages. Some are abandoned on the streets. Some are killed.
5 Reasons Why You Should Adopt
- Help save 2 lives! By adopting from BAWA, you’ll help save the life of the animal you take home AND the life of a newly rescued animal that can take the space and other resources that you have freed up by adopting.
- Get a healthy pet! BAWA rehomes healthy and vaccinated animals. We can help with sterilisation, too. Our rescued animals are innocent. It is people who have discarded or injured them.
- Save money! Adopting from BAWA is much less expensive than buying a pet at a pet store or through other sources. In fact it is free, though we warmly welcome donations to help us continue our vital work.
- You choose! Puppies and kittens are cute and cuddly, but some people find them a handful and prefer more mature animals. An older animal may be a better fit for you and your family.
- Say NO to puppy mills. By adopting instead of buying, you are withholding support from cruel puppy mills and unscrupulous breeders. Both will continue to operate until people stop buying from them.
What You Can Do
- ALWAYS ADOPT. Never buy a dog from a pet shop or breeder. Contact BAWA.
- REPORT any suspicious dog breeders or pet shops to BAWA.
- SUPPORT BAWA by adopting or fostering today. Make room for other animals in need.
- DONATE to BAWA so we can continue to provide life-saving support to Bali’s many animals in need.